This post was also featured on DetroitMommies.com as a product review.
I never wanted a video baby monitor. I had heard horror stories of people leaving them on and being robbed when the burglars knew the house was empty. But when Lorex offered to send me one, I figured it was worth giving it a go.
I initially thought I’d use it more to keep an eye on my older children playing in the basement while I was nursing or to look in on the baby when I was sitting outside watching the kids swim, but the air was on. It turns out, I actually used it more than I thought.
The monitor provides lots and lots of extra features. From the hand unit, I can turn on and off a small light on the camera, play music and even talk to the baby, or yell at my kids, whatever.
One of the features I like best comes when the baby isn’t happy. When baby makes a noise, the hand unit turns on. Most of the time, with her tiny little cries, I was able to keep her from waking up my husband or the other girls just because the extra light from the screen coming on woke me up before the crying did.
Some nights, I would just turn it on to look at her. Her sweet little baby face looking back at me with her soft breathing causing her lungs to gently rise and fall. Sometimes she’d be in her crib awake, but not fussing. She’s looks into the monitor and we can watch her little face just checking out her new digs.
After we decided to use the monitor, I noticed that my laptop wasn’t getting to the internet. It took me an entire day and some help from my husband to figure out that it was the frequency of the monitor interacting with my wireless component. So, every time I get up with her, I turn it off so that I can watch Netflix while feeding her. (Don’t judge me!) This cuts down on the chance that I’d leave it on and someone could see when we aren’t home.
Here are the specs from Lorex:
- 2.4″ Portable LCD Monitor… so you can hold your little one comfortably in the palm of your hand. Enjoy bright, crisp vision by day and night.
- Crystal Clear Night Vision… the clearest black and white picture let’s you see every little move they make, even when it’s lights out!
- Digital Zoom… use this super function when all you need is a closer look.
- Two-Way Talk… while you catch up on emails in the home office, sing your baby to sleep using the monitor’s high-sensitivity microphone.
- Soothing Lullabies… classic pre-set lullabies will rock your baby to sleep in no time.
- Built-In Nightlight… the wireless camera has a built-in nightlight to softly illuminate the room and help your baby relax into a sweet sleep.
- Crisp Sound… you won’t miss a beat when you can tune in to every baby breath.
- 450 ft Outdoor Wireless Range… this feature ensures that your family is always in the comfort zone.
- Accommodates up to 4 Cameras… tots, toddlers and tweens. As your family grows, add three additional wireless cameras and keep an eye on everyone.
- Up to 8 Hours of Battery Life… with the power to go all day and all night, you will always have a reliable pair of eyes and ears in the nursery or playroom.
Do we need this product? No. But it was kind nice. Both units are battery operated or can be used with an AC adapter. The hand unit recharges using a power cord while the base needs AA batteries. I can easily move it around the house with both pieces. If we keep the batteries full, we can use them wirelessly where ever we need them: peeking in on the baby, watching over the kids in the basement, even (when it’s nice outside) letting me have an extra set of eyes on the kids in the yard.
Lorex sent me the Sweet Peek video baby monitor for review purposes, but these opinions are my own.