ACDF Anxiety COVID19 health


picture of a "screened for entry" name badge.
Screened for entry into the hospital, the last place I wanted to be.

As I write this, I don’t have the results of my ultrasound yet.

I had scheduled to get my thyroid ultrasound done on Saturday morning. I was told to arrive at the medical pavilion attached to the hospital at 10:45 a.m. for my 11:15 a.m. appointment. I was right on time. The imaging center and lab were pretty backed up, so I had a bit of a wait, but Love It or List It was on the TV so I was entertained.

Finally, I was called to a registration desk where they verified my information, insurance and the ultrasound order, but they had bad news. They weren’t doing ultrasounds in the medical pavilion that day, so I’d need to go to the hospital and have it done in radiology. With COVID-19 cases on the rise, I was really hoping to avoid going to the actual hospital.

I made sure my mask was secure and made the walk through the cooridors to the hospital and radiology. There was one person in front of me, so I handed my papers to the receptionist and had a seat.

I waited and watched more Love It or List It.

I waited some more and organized my Christmas shopping list.

I watched beds and wheelchairs roll by. I listened to rapid response calls made overhead.

I waited and browsed Instagram.

And then, finally, the tech came back to get me and it was my turn. She apologized for the wait. There was some confusion with getting my paperwork entered apparently, which led to a long wait. A really long wait. In fact, after arriving at the hospital at 10:45 a.m., I was finally heading back at 12:15 p.m.

The tech told me to lay on the bed and tilt my head back as far as I could. That’s not an easy task with a herniated disc in your neck! She placed the ultrasound wand on my throat area and began staking measurements right away. She moved and click and moved and clicked and moved and clicked. I didn’t say a word. I just laid calmly on the bed, waiting.

Then, after about 15 minutes, she handed me a towel and told me that it would be about two business days before I had results from my doctor, but they would likely be in my digital record before that.

And that was it. Uneventful. No answers (not that I expected any). Quick. Quiet.

Then I made sure my mask was in place and made the walk out of the hospital, to my car and stopped by Target for some space bags. Pretty regular Saturday.

Now we’ll wait and see. I’m learning that this is all part of the medical process.