I’ve been looking for ways to incorporate more protein into my diet throughout the day, not just at dinner. I’m really great at having meat with dinner but the other meals, especially lunch, are my downfall. I need the protein to give me the energy to get through the day. When I came across this lime chicken fajitas recipe, I decided to whip up some for lunch one day and then save the leftovers for the rest of the week. I’m surprised there were actually any leftovers–it was so yummy!
My husband hates most Mexican food. Well, he likes Taco Bell. That’s probably about as Mexican as the taco or fajitas that we make at home. I, on the other hand, LOVE Mexican food. One of my favorites is fajitas. I don’t have them often. My husband’s dislike for them means it’s not something I make for dinner.
This recipe looked great and allowed me to get in the chicken and the veggies. I thawed some chicken and decided to make it on a day I worked from home.
Here is the recipe.
This comes from Cafe Delights! I have adapted it slightly to the ingredients I had on hand and my taste preferences.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 100ml (just over ⅓ cup) lime juice
- 2 tablespoons coriander
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 chicken thigh fillets, skin removed
- ½ red bell pepper, deseeded and sliced
- ½ an onion, sliced
- 5 cups lettuce, washed and dried
- Extra coriander leaves to garnish
- Sour cream (optional) to serve
- Shredded cheese
- Whisk marinade ingredients together to combine. Pour half the marinade into a shallow dish to marinade the chicken fillets for two hours if time allows. Refrigerate the reserved untouched marinade to use as a dressing.
- Heat about one teaspoon of oil in a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat and add strips of cut chicken. Once chicken is cooked, set aside and allow to rest.
- Wipe pan over with paper towel; drizzle with another teaspoon of oil and grill/fry pepper and onion strips until cooked to your liking.
- Prepare salad with leaves, pepper and onion strips and chicken. Add small amount of shredded cheese and sour cream.
As I was cooking this, my husband was remarking that it smelled really great. And it did. The lime isn’t something that we cook with often and the citrus-y aroma was so delightful. It was so full of flavor too.
One thought on “Lime Chicken Fajita recipe brings flavor to lunch”
Yum! I love the marinade recipe you have here, especially the addition of brown sugar. Hope the hubby liked these, they certainly look delicious! Thanks for the post Rebecca!
Comments are closed.