Around the House Crafts

Decking the halls for Easter

IMG_0950
Hanging Easter eggs.

My daughter asked for an Easter Egg hunt at our house. Since we have plans at my husband’s grandmother’s on Easter, we decided to schedule an egg hunt for Saturday, and with other members of our family. I want the house to feel festive and cheery, so, besides my Peeps wreath (which I love so much I want to marry it), I’m working on some other decorations.

I saw this change of eggs come up on Pinterest several times and while I never marked it, I knew I wanted to make it.

For this project, you’ll need:

  • Yarn, string,¬†embroidery¬†floss, etc for the “shell” of the egg
  • Glue
  • Balloons
  • Wax paper
  • Twine or other material to string the eggs together
IMG_0944
I used Mod Podge on the floss I wrapped around the balloons.

This project, like the Peeps wreath, was WAY MESSIER than I anticipated. I ended up putting a wet wash cloth next to me and just dabbed my fingers on it often. It helped. So you might want to have some paper towel, wipes or a wet rag handy.

I started by blowing up the balloons. I only had water balloons. That was dumb. Apparently water balloons are really hard to blow up. Or, at least mine were. I’m glad I wasn’t looking for anything too large because my lungs and my cheeks really couldn’t have handled it.

I blew up about eight balloons to string together and a few more to hang from our dining room light. It was about 12 all together.

Using the embroidery floss, I cut long strips to wrap along the balloons.

One balloon at a time, I dipped the floss into a bowl of glue. I then wrapped it around the balloon as many times and from as many different angles as I could.

After the balloon was wrapped in the string, I placed it on the wax paper to dry.

I let them sit there for about 24 hours before popping the balloons and stringing them together.

IMG_0948
After a day or so, pop the balloons and you have the "shell" of an egg.

Aside from not using water balloons, I will also tell you that I found Mod Podge to be the best glue for this project. I was going to use some basic Elmer’s glue, but mine was really thick. I tried adding water to it, but that just made a mess. I wanted to make sure each string was fully covered so I found my Mod Podge and used that instead. It worked like a charm.

Also, had I had more time and more floss, I would have used a lot more. I think the effect would have been cooler.

One thought on “Decking the halls for Easter

  1. Those are so adorable! I love it. I’m trying to get crafty now as well since I’m into Pinterest. Hope your egg hunt goes well!

Comments are closed.