ACDF Recovery Day 4 – Trust the Process

I’m a horrible patient. Surgery is over, I’m supposed to be moving on. While I knew there was going to be a recovery period, I assumed that I’d be mostly fine and ready for the trampoline park in no time.

Turns out that’s not the case.

Throat Turning Point

Yesterday, my throat felt better. There is still some heavieness on the right side, but that’s where my incision is located so it’s probably a lot of inflammation. I was able to eat a lot more solid foods yesterday. This opens some doors for me. My entire diet doesn’t have to be liquid anymore, which will hopefully help me feel a bit more full.

Taking a look at my incision

Incision Look

I got a good look at my incision today as I had to change my own bandage. My mom changed it on Monday so I was on my own. It was easier to do then I thought, but being without my hard collar is panic-inducing. I felt like I was on the edge of a nervous breakdown the entire time I was changing the bandage. It was also a lot itchier today than previous days so when I covered it this time, I used less gauze in an attempt to give it a chance to breathe.

Sleep All Day

I got up yesterday morning and did some work. I had big plans for the day. I wanted to get some stuff done around the house, but by the time I got done with work, I was tired. I tried to keep moving and going, but my lack of ability to do anything made me depressed, so I ate lunch and then took a nap. But, I slept in my bed, which was awesome. My bed is so much comfier than the recliner or my daughter’s bottom bunk.

I went to bed incredibly early and slept most of the night. I’m just tired. And I can’t blame it on meds because I didn’t take any yesterday.

Less Medication

I definitely took less medication. My meds are labeled for “as needed.” There is “as needed” for nerve pain and “as needed” for muscle spasms and “as needed” for severe pain, which I haven’t had.

I did not see any improvement in my thumb with the medication or overall. I looked up some nerve glides on You Tube and I’ve been doing those to hopefully get my nerves in my left hand firing again properly.

My husband had to remind me today that I’m not even a week out from major surgery. Things aren’t just going to go back to normal. Let’s take it one day at a time.